A group of people brought together to oversee a piece of work.
Typically, a steering group consists of representatives of relevant professional groups, key statutory agencies, and the local community. Its terms of reference might include:
- overseeing development and progress of the work
- agreeing the methodological framework and timescales
- providing an input of local knowledge and information
- acting as a bridge between partners
- facilitating the implementation of the assessment's recommendations
- helping to assimilate and disseminate the emerging lessons