The measures taken to plan, organize, operate, and evaluate all the many elements of a system and the personnel involved in the management task.
Management tasks include
- formulating policies and defining priorities;
- setting up programs to translate the policies into strategy, clearly stated objectives, targets, and actions, and preparing budgets to govern the allocation of resources for the programs;
- implementing the programs;
- monitoring the results; and
- monitoring the process to ensure the delivery of all of these elements.
The discipline of management is a mature field of study and research and is a popular teaching topic. Management education and training in the health sector is crucial; areas of specialization are service management, finance, purchasing and planning, supplies, medical records, and informatics.
Adapted from World Health Organization. Terminology. A glossary of technical terms on the economics and finance of health services. Internet. Accessed December 18, 2015.