The measures taken to plan, organize, operate and evaluate all the many elements of a system and the personnel involved.
Sometimes called administration.
Management includes formulating policies, defining priorities and their respective implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
World Health Organization. European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies. Glossary. 2009.
The measures taken to plan, organize, operate and evaluate all the many elements of a system and the personnel involved in the management task.
The task includes:
- Formulating policies and defining priorities
- Setting up programs to translate the policies into strategy, clearly stated objectives, targets and action preparing budgets to govern the allocation of resources for the programs;
- Implementing the programs
- Monitoring the results and
- Monitoring the process to ensure the delivery of all of these elements.
The discipline of management is a mature field of study and research and a popular topic of teaching. Management education and training in the health sector is crucial; areas of specialization are service management, finance, purchasing and planning, supplies, medical records and informatics.