Avoidable and premature deaths and serious health-related suffering (SHS)
The concept of premature death or avoidable mortality is defined as the "deaths that should not occur in the presence of effective and timely health care".
WHO defines death as premature if it occurs before age 70 years.
Avoidable deaths from the 20 health conditions (see "http://pallipedia.org/serious-health-related-suffering-shs/)
- Low-income countries (80% of total deaths)
- Lower-middle-income countries (70% of total deaths)
- Upper-middle-income countries. (48% of total deaths)
Avoidable deaths associated with SHS
- Low-income countries (81% of total deaths)
- Lower-middle-income countries (63% of total deaths)
- Upper-middle-income countries (46% of total deaths)